Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Get in the River!

I’m in and out of the flow you know.
When I’m in the flow, guided by the river, supported by the water, swimming with the fishies that nibble the dead skin off my toes...everything works so beautifully I can't even understand it.
When I get impatient and fight the way things are moving, the frustration escalates, nothing works, I wait forever for nothing to happen, I feel alone and annoyed.
So get back in the river!
That’s what I keep telling myself.

The other day I was walking through the streets of Bangalore singing to myself. I was singing part of a chant that Fede the Argentinean from Sadhana taught me. When he sings it, eyes closed, beautiful voice, by the 4 and final line a peaceful contented smile comes over his face before he swings back to the beginning of the song.
Now I feel that contentment when I sing it...because it's beautiful and because it has so many memories attached…people who sing it, places we sang it….
So I was singing to myself and feeling utter peace and happiness. Singing keeps an incredible lightness in each step. Feels like a ball of positive light around me.
‘Madam, what do you want?’
‘I want to be happy! Mai kush hu!’
‘Oh wonderful madam! Hindi speaking!’
‘no no, tota tota!’
Such a pleasing interaction. SO uplifting. Break through the selling relationship. Their faces both went SO Bright! Eyes came alive... bursting out of the mundane.
Everyday this must happen. All The Time!
Don’t answer with the expected.
Don’t ask the expected. Cut to the core.
What else is there? What else is important?
Perhaps I will go home and meet friends again for the first time. What do you dream about? What do you long for? What makes you happy?
How awesome to ask, What makes you happy friend? And Really want to know the answer!

I think without realizing it I’ve been finding myself every day on this trip. On a search for truth and happiness…I’m finding it.

Always learning. Always teaching. All of us.
Everyone is a student and everyone is a teacher. Every ‘social position’. Every age. Every religion. Every person.
And that feels incredibly satisfying to breathe every day.

After the singing walk I sat in the train station with Assaf bubbling about the experience. Listening to his walk and his thoughts (we had separated for an hour or so). Learning and teaching.
I got up to go to the train and a woman radiantly called me over by the name Ranjeeta. It took me a few minutes of broken English/Hindi to understand that she was giving me an India name, beaming smiles the whole time. Ranjeeta means smiling face, she said. Or open flower.
Wow. What a treasure moment.

What I put out into the world I get back. Actions are asking the universe for reaction and answers. Exude positive light and I too will be bathed in it.

I still find frustrations and extreme challenges of patience. But it’s all part of the experience. And so far, there has always been someone special to whisk me out of the heavy mood, back to the newly appreciated light mood!

Get in the river. It’s such a great way to live!
Open
Trusting
Ready to find a lesson in every teacher around you
And confident, trusting that you are a teacher too.

So much love
Lauren

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this one Ranjeeta!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came through your profile on hospitality.org and came to know what kind of person you are!
I am also intrested in working with an NGO. I think we should meet. Is it possible?
My No. is 9911259143.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I^m from HP!
I^ll in Delhi 18/12/08
Could we meet?
Ivan.tito3@yandex.ru